Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day Memorial




From Wikipedia:
Loyalty Day is observed on May 1 in the United States. It is a day set aside for the reaffirmation of loyalty to the United States and for the recognition of the heritage of American freedom.
In honor of May Day/Loyalty Day... I took a picture of an airplane erected in memory of Major Rudolph Anderson. He was a native of my town, and he was the only casualty of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The plane, located in the central city park, is being repainted. As I think on the Cuban Missile Crisis, I'm grateful that a "24"-worthy scenario did not lead to World War III. I'm grateful that it was only Maj. Anderson who was called upon to give his life. I'm glad diplomacy prevailed.
Today is also the first day that I've noticed the peonies blooming. So I thought it appropriate to offer these flowers as my tribute to Major Anderson.

No comments: